Chest upper back pain during pregnancy
Many people focus on pre-natal lower back pain. However, there are also a fair number of women who experience upper back pain (thoracic spine). A woman has to face some discomfort during pregnancy. Experiencing back pains is one of the most common discomforts that women experience during this time. At times, back pains can be rather annoying. In the early stages of pregnancy, experiencing lower back pains is common. However, women can experience upper back pain during the late stage of pregnancy when the uterus attains a significant weight and reaches the maximum size. This pain is mostly experienced during the third trimester of the pregnancy. The third trimester of a pregnancy is characterized by tremendous changes that take place to prepare the body for childbirth.
What Causes Upper Back Pain During Pregnancy?
There are a number of reasons why women experience upper back pain during pregnancy. The level of pregnancy hormones rises once you are pregnant. These hormones cause the muscles and ligaments in your stomach and back area to loosen and relax. The reason why your muscles relax and loosen is that they can make room for the baby that is growing. More pressure is put on your ribs as the weight of the uterus and the baby increases. A woman also gains about 25% more weight when she is pregnant. All this extra pressure and weight may cause weakening of muscles, which results in upper back pain.
Another reason why pregnant women experience upper back pain is because the center of gravity is shifted by the baby that is growing inside you, and extra weight can cause your body to lean forward. This causes your back muscles to work harder to maintain the balance of your body. Breasts becoming bigger may be another cause of upper back pain during pregnancy. Due to the added weight and the bigger size of your breasts, your shoulders may be pulled down.
How To Treat Upper And Lower Back Pain During Pregnancy
Back pain in pregnancy is a horrible experience that a woman has to face at some point sooner or later during her pregnancy. Mild back pain either upper or lower is normal in pregnancy, however if this back pain become intense and severe, then it should be treated.
Lower back pain often makes a pregnant woman worried as she is not aware how to make it less painful and how to relieve from this irritating low back pain. Back pain during pregnancy can be worse if you have prior history of lower back pain.
Pregnant Women who are overweight
Upper Back Pain during pregnancy
A pregnant woman may suffer dull ache in upper back and in the front in the middle of the chest. This hard to handle pain in the upper and middle of the back also hurts to move the upper body.
Lower Back Pain during pregnancy
Lower back pain in pregnancy also known as Lumbar pain usually happens between the 5th and 7th month of being pregnant. This back pain located at and above the waist in the center of the back. Some times, pregnancy pain in the lower back can begin as early as 8 to 12 weeks after getting pregnant.
How to treat or relieve back pain during pregnancy
There are several things that you can do to relieve back pain during pregnancy. Here are a few suggestions that a pregnant woman can help to reduce as well as avoid the back pain.
Following the principles of
Sleeping on left side is recommended and a pregnant woman must use a support pillow under your knees while sleeping. Avoid sleeping on your back to avoid back pain during pregnancy.
A pregnant woman is advised to wear low-heeled shoes that have good arch support. Shoes which you choose to wear while you are pregnant must provide adequate support. Supportive waistband, maternity support belts can also be beneficial in treatment of back pain.
Exercises for the back can help in reducing backache in pregnancy. Keep in mind that only uses exercises that are approved by your health care provider that support the back and abdomen. Prenatal yoga, Light workouts and stretching exercises will aid to ease back pain and also helps in preparing a woman for labor and delivery. Massaging the painful area can also give relief from back pain in pregnancy.
Upper or lower Back pain during pregnancy is very common and it requires early, proper treatment if arises as severe back pain can bring pregnancy complications.
Chest Pain and Tightness During Pregnancy
What is Chest Pain During Pregnancy?
Chest pain during pregnancy is a normal experience during this time because of excessive changes in hormones, blood flow and weight and size of uterus and fetus.
Causes of Pain in Chest During Pregnancy
Some normal and important causes of chest pain during pregnancy are as follows:-
- Heartburn – During pregnancy there is a surge of excessive progesterone hormones that helps relaxation of sphincter allowing acid in stomach to come out. Eating certain food items, gas and indigestion results in Heartburn. Antacids have capacity to interfere in iron absorption of body and therefore are not advisable along with iron supplements.
- Weight of baby – Changes in weight of growing baby puts excessive pressure on diaphragm as well as ribs causing chest pain during pregnancy third trimester.
- Indigestion – Avoiding food items that can cause acidity and gas is prudent as they often result in indigestion and chest pain
- Stress – Anxiousness causes muscles to become tensed and lead to pain in chest
- Breasts – Chest pain during pregnancy first trimester is result of enlarged breasts. This happens because of an increase in blood flow, as it is nature’s way to prepare for upcoming breastfeeding. It leads to pain in chest and breathlessness
- Asthma – If a patient has been suffering from asthma previously, and then it may result in obscuring normal activities as breathing becomes more difficult. Guidance of a doctor is necessary at such times
- Extended rib cage – Chest tightness during pregnancy is also because of widening ribcage. With an increase in size the baby starts putting excessive pressure on diaphragm, ribs and muscles resulting in breathlessness and pain
- Cold, cough – A sore throat can easily result in moderate pain in chest area
- Headache – Due to an increase in blood stream as well as hormones in body it is normal to feel headache and chest pain during early pregnancy.
There are some more serious causes of pain in chest area are as follows:-
- Deep Vein Thrombosis – This medical condition occurs when blood clot happens in veins related to pelvis or legs. While walking or standing, the legs will be warmer with a feeling of heaviness. Swelling is also a part of this condition resulting in extreme pain. Deep Vein Thrombosis becomes a cause of concern if a pregnant women is more than thirty five year old, smokes or is carrying multiple babies
- Coronary heart disease – An increase in plaque contents narrows the arteries thus restricting flow of blood. This condition results in chest pain during pregnancy left side and must be addressed by a doctor as soon as possible
- Heart attack – Main symptoms of heart attack are severe pain in chest along with sweating, breathlessness and numbness.
- Congenital heart disease – Pain in chest is prominent during this medical condition
Managing Chest Pain in Pregnancy
Some tips to manage and control pain in chest are as follows:-
- It is desirable to drink plenty of water and eat at regular interval to avoid upper back and chest pain during pregnancy
- Rest is necessary as it relieves pain in areas like legs, chest and back
- It is sensible to avoid usage of caffeine and smoking to prevent chest pain
- Chest pain during pregnancy second trimester is easy to avoid by taking plenty of magnesium, iron, calcium and vitamins in daily diet
Chest upper back pain during pregnancy
September 18,2015 7:52 am| by:- Kavita ! Posted in:-Pregnancy,
Congratulations & Celebrations… For you have a baby time! Pregnancy is the best news in the life of every lady, and why not, after all, it is the biggest and most precious gift of the God. But with some gain, also comes little pain and so is the scene, when you are pregnant. A lot of care during this time. Due to hormonal changes, the body of the pregnant lady goes through many changes. One such change is uppermost back pain. Upper Back pain during pregnancy is quite obvious due to the changes in hormones at this time and increased the weight of the mother and the baby in the womb, but when it is about spending nine long months with such a pain, it becomes very tough to deal. So, as a helping guide, we have brought you with such an informative piece of article which will help you very much in taking the best care of yourself especially when you are the victim of upper back pain during pregnancy. Let us understand the reason for this pain and then know the ways to get rid of it.
What is the reason of Upper back Pain during Pregnancy?
The focus is on the pre-natal lower back pain during pregnancy, but the problem of upper back pain founded in equal proportion. In medical language, the upper back pain occurred during pregnancy is termed as Thoracic Spine. It happens in the third semester of pregnancy, but in few cases, it might occur early as well, depending on one’s body and the changes that a woman has to deal. Understand the cause of upper back pain during pregnancy. A woman goes through various changes during this time and as per the medical science there is a reason for every move that a woman faces during pregnancy. So, is in the case of upper back pain. There are numerous reasons as to why women suffer from a lot of top back pain during pregnancy. Let’s understand.
Once you are pregnant, the level of hormones increases in your body speedily which at later stages also prepares the shape of a woman for the delivery. These hormones result in relaxing the muscles and ligaments of the stomach and also loosening the muscles of the back portion. It happens so that the baby gets ample place to develop and grow freely. It is a truth that a pregnant woman’s weight step-up by at least 25%. Now as the pregnancy months pass, the size of the baby along with the size of the uterus, both increases which further results in increasing the pressure on the ribs which is the central support of the back to keep firm and robust. Due to the additional stress caused by weight, the muscles weaken and cause severe upper back pain at the time of pregnancy. Secondly, one more reason for the top pain during pregnancy is due to the mid of the gravity being wobbled by the baby in the womb which results in inclining the body frontward. Now, in such a situation the back muscles play a significant role in balancing the body weight. Thirdly, the increased size of the breasts could also be one of the reasons for this sort of pain as this leads the shoulders to bend much. It is one of the necessary changes.
The truth is that all such symptoms are unavoidable and it is not advisable at all to go for painkillers at all as it might harm the health of your baby. You can go for some easy exercises and some safeguards that will help you a lot to get relief from this pain and are also safe for the mother and baby both.
SAFEGUARDS & INTERVENTIONS
Luckily, some effective measures can help you a lot in curing the excess upper back pain to an extent. All you need to do is to take some extra care right from the first day of the pregnancy so that the entire time can be a memorable one. Below are few safeguards and interventions that will prove to be a great help to you:
Pregnancy time is a pampering time, and every expecting mother loves it a lot. Every person in the family gives utmost importance to you and your health, and so you can enjoy lots of rest in this whole duration. But at times, there are occasions where your presence is must, and you cannot avoid standing. So, to ward off upper back pain from occurring, it is essential that you follow the correct standing posture. Keep equal distance between both the legs so that the weight of the body which also includes the importance of the baby might get distributed equally. It implies the least stress on the upper back portion. Hence, take care of how you stand if there is a requirement; strictly follow correct standing position only.
Like the standing posture, the mother-to-be should follow the proper sitting position as well. Prevent the use of leaning chair or sofa, instead, prefer sitting on the chair which ensures comfy lumbar support during your pregnancy time. You can even make the use of lumbar pillows on the back of the chair to add more comfort while sitting because when the lower back portion of the pregnant lady must be in the right way, the chances of having upper back pain becomes minimal. While you sit, make sure that you keep your both the feet on the ground, and the distance of the shoulder should be maintained breadth aside. The reason behind such posture is that it assures an equalised dispersion of the entire weight with least stress on the back portion. So, the more comfortable your sitting pose is, the more relief you will be from any back pain during pregnancy.
Sleeping for extended hours, or even lying on the back for long duration are considered to be the causes of back pain during pregnancy. Manage the rest accordingly, meaning thereby, for some time you can sit and relax, and for some time you can sleep and take rest. Do not remain in the same posture for a long time; keep changing (as per the advice) from time to time. The expectant mother is considered to sleep on one’s side in a safe position. It is believed to follow the right way of sleeping during pregnancy. Also, say NO to high pillows because it is the job of the cushion to assure the comfortability of the neck and back portion, both. So, prefer sleeping with flat pillows at least during these nine months. In your late pregnancy, it is better to sleep on the left-hand side so that the uterus implies no extra force on the major vein that is on the right-hand side of the stomach, named Vena Cava. It also helps in enhancing your blood circulation. A sound sleep works like a blessing in disguise, for a pregnant lady.
When you are in pain, you will try all the necessary cures and opt for some stretching practices is one of them. It might be of great assistance when it comes to the upper back pain during pregnancy. There are two examples given under:
- a) Doorway Muscular Pectoralis: – While standing nearby to the door; put your arms on the frame of the door and raise your hands to the height of your shoulder in such a way that your elbows should bend to ninety degrees altitude. Now put one foot forward and slightly bounce frontward till the time you experience little stretch at the forepart of your chest and shoulders. Stay in the same posture for about thirty seconds. That’s it. Make the repetition of the same for about three to four times in a day, with ample of gaps.
- b) Scapular recantation: – Once done with the above-given exercise, you can relax your arms in the usual way and then lightly pinch the shoulder blades unitedly in such a way as if you are attempting to carry a pencil amidst them. Now hold the pose for about five seconds and then take a sigh of relaxation. While repeating this exercise, make various sessions of it and repeat it about 20 to 25 times per session.
You can even take the help of daily massages by consulting a physiotherapist, while you are expecting. Their professional technique of relieving the pregnancy pain works superbly. Also, if pain exists because it is a regular phenomenon during pregnancy, you can prefer palliating methods like cold & hot water bag. Also, specific pregnancy yoga classes which comprise of safe yoga especially for the expecting ladies and are highly helpful for the health of the mommy and the baby both. Such exercises not only relief from any pain but also helps in easy and quick delivery too.
Pregnancy is a delicate time, so extra care is a must. A strictly advised is to pick the heavy weighted articles when you are expecting, and in case if there is an urgent need to lift any regular weighted object, you are advised to keep these points in your mind. With an erect back stoop at your knees, elevate with your legs and bring the purpose nearby to your body and avert any bend and lift motion. If there is a need to bend, bout your complete body along with the feet to confront the new place instead of pivoting at the waistline. You can follow the same style while picking up your little one post delivery. In case, if you need any help, do ask for it, neither hesitate nor try doing any task which you are not comfy doing it.
Being pregnant or becoming the mother is a unique experience that a lady experiences. Hence, enjoy every bit of it and this can be only done if you are completely healthy. Do memorise all the essential things mentioned above so that you can relish a happy and healthy pregnancy.
Are you having or had this experience in the past?? I would love to discuss more with you; please comment to share your experience with my readers and me.